The two bags of desiree potatoes are beckoning me to cook them so I did. I made this hearty lentil potato soup for our lunch during the weekend. It is simple and easy one pot soup that can be cooked in an hour. Believe it or not, this soup smells and tastes like minestrone, less the pasta.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 medium size desiree potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 leaf of purple cabbage, cut into thin slices
- 1 small onion
- 5 gloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, pre-cooked
Step by step instructions:
- Add onion and garlic in a pot and heat under small fire for one to two minutes. Add oil, if desired.
- Add lentils and three to four cups of water and bring it to boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, celery, tomatoes, purple cabbage, chickpeas and cooked for about another 20-30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, if desired.