I am beginning my baby steps towards a plant-based diet. It all started when I watched Forks over Knives, and subsequently Dying to have known and The Gerson Miracle. Other than raw vegetables and fruit juices I am consuming daily, I am also exploring and learning how to cook more delicious plant-based diet.
I was so delighted when I spotted “Forks Over Knives – The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year” at our community library. Without much hesitation, I took the book from the shelf and borrowed it.
After flipping through the pages, I decided to make my first lentil soup for our dinner.
Lentils are very nutritious legumes, loaded with fiber, folate, iron, protein, and other vitamins and minerals.
As I did not have all the ingredients specified in the cookbook, I modified and adapted to what were available in my fridge and cabinet. I excluded potatoes, tumeric, curry powder, nutmeg and lemon zest and juice from the Fork over Knives’ recipe; and in place I added Italian spices to my soup.
The final outcome of my lentil soup was not too bad, actually I enjoy this new soup when it is hot. My hubby likes it too. My little girl does not like spices so it was a mistake to add them. I should have separated out her portion without spices. Thankfully my girl likes her porridge with red lentils.
I will definitely made lentil soup again!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves 3 persons
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 3-4 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 3 cups of water
- Italian spices, sprinkled (optional)
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cups of spinach leaves, preferably finely chopped
- Minced coriander
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Step by Step instructions:
- Sautee onion over medium fire for 5-10mins. Add a little water or olive oil to prevent the onion from sticking to the pot.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and potatoes and add 3 cups of water to cook for about 15-20mins. Add more water if desire to adjust soup consistency.
- Add cauliflowers to cook for about 15 minutes until tender
- Off the fire and stir in the spinach
- Add spices, coriander, salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from “Lentil Soup with Cauliflower, Potatoes and Spinach”, Fork Over Knives – The Cookbook