My friend shared with me a dish that she cooked with millet and spinach. I decided to give it a try and I adapted her recipe and had this for our dinner.
Surprisingly, my little girl of three enjoys millet. I like the mildly sweet and nutty flavour of millet and it definitely makes a great healthy alternative to rice.
Preparation time: 15-30 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Serving size: 3 persons
- 1.5 cup Millet, pre-soaked for 8 – 12 hours
- 200 g Spinach, chopped
- 1 – 2 medium Tomato, diced
- 80-100g Pumpkin, diced
- 6 cloves of Garlic, diced
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 Tbs Coconut oil
- 3 – 3.5 cups Filtered water
Step by step instructions:
- Add water to millet and top it with pumpkin and tomato. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Add coconut oil, onion and garlic and stir under medium fire for about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir fry for about 2 minutes and off the fire.
- Mix in the cooked millet, tomato and pumpkin.
- Season to taste with salt or tamari sauce, if desired.