My first taste of aloe vera osmathus honey drink was at Paradise Dynasty at ION Orchard. I really enjoy this refreshing and healthy drink packed with all nature’s goodness.
Aloe Vera, also known as the “miracle plant”, soothes and heals minor skin problems like cuts, burns and rashes, helps maintain a healthy digestive system, promotes healthy skins and other benefits.
Osmathus (桂花) relieves fatigue, stimulates thoughts, prevent drowsiness and is said to promote beautiful skin.
Goji Berries (枸杞子) are rich in vitamin A that may have anti-aging benefits, help boost immune function, protect vision, and may help prevent heart disease.
Honey has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, reduces cough and throat irritation, heals wounds, burns and promotes beautiful skin.
Lemon juice is well known for it’s antioxidants and anti-cancer properties. Being rich in Vitamin C, it is also essential for maintaining a fully functional immune system, aiding digestion, fighting cancer, helping wounds to heal faster and can even help to prevent heart failure.
I attempted to re-make my own aloe vera honey drink at home. I found this recipe which I learnt how to cook the aloe vera and I tried to come up with my own version of aloe vera drink.
I bought four big leaves of aloe vera which only cost less than SGD$8 from Sheng Siong supermarket, osmathus (桂花) and goji berries (枸杞子) from the Chinese medical hall.
It took me two attempts to get it “right”.
In my first attempt, I boiled the aloe vera with the osmathus and goji berries. I tried the aloe a few times to check the texture and the taste of juice. It leaves a bitter taste after boiling. I decided to pour away most of the juice and left some juice behind with the aloe. The final result was still bittersweet.
In my second attempt, I decided to pour all the water used in the first boil and also rinsed the aloe before I added more fresh water to heat again. The result is much better – no bitter taste. The aloe can fully infused the fragrance and taste of osmanthus, honey and lemon when left overnight in the fridge.
Preparation time (exclude waiting time): 20 – 30 minutes (for peeling and cutting two big leaves)
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
Ingredients (you may adjust ingredients to desired proportion):
- 2 big leaves Aloe vera
- 1 tbs Osmanthus (桂花)
- 2 tbs Goji berries (枸杞子)
- 250g Wild/Raw honey
- 2-3 tbs Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-2.5 litres Water
Step by step instructions:
- Remove the green outer skin of the aloe vera with a peeler.
- Cut the succulent inner gel into little cubes. The slimy gel can be very slippery, do take care when cutting them.
- Fill a pot of water (est. 2 litres) heat it over medium fire.
- Put the cut aloe vera into the water and turn of the fire when the water started to boil.
- Drain off the aloe vera and place them in the pot again with fresh hot water (est. 2-2.5 litres, depending on how much fluid is desired).
- Heat the pot of aloe vera over medium fire and then turn off the fire when it boils.
- Add one tablespoon of osmathus and two tablespoon of goji berries to add a flowery fragrance to the drink. The amount of osmanthus and goji berries is up to your preference.
- Wait for the temperature of the hot pot to drop to not more than 40 degree celsius, add and stir in the honey. As high temperature will destroy the good properties in the honey.
- When the pot is good to go into a container to be stored in the fridge, add two to three tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Tip when making aloe vera drink:
- The aloe vera leaves a bitter taste when it is boiled. Thus I would suggest that you pour away the water used to boil the aloe vera in the first round and replace with fresh hot water. If not all that goes into the pot will be bitter too, unless you like bitter drink.
Consuming aloe vera is not recommended for pregnant women, women who are trying to conceive and breastfeeding.
Not everyone is suitable to consume some of the ingredients listed here. Please consult doctor if unsure.
Read more about:
- Aloe Vera myth or medicine?
- Aloe vera plant: history, uses and benefits
- Benefits of aloe vera and how to use it
- About Osmanthus flower tea
- Goji berries: health benefits and side effects
- 10 health benefits of honey
- Amazing benefits of raw lemon juice